Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23

Thread: F'N Turbo! :(

  1. #1
    HB Forum Owner CWBETB's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2001
    Posts
    1,609
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ah guys this turbo is a pain in the ass. First I have an oil leak from my pan which I can probably fix.

    Now today Im driving in 4th gear push the gas a little bit hit about 2 pounds off boost then wham, check engine light comes on! So I pull over pop the hood, checked the check valves and Vac hoses, turn the car off, start it up drive back home with no check engine light?! What the hell? Any idea what might have caused this? I couldnt get the code because it didnt seem to come back. Anybody?!

    Eric

    ------------------
    90 Civic Turbo ZC

    Home Page:
    http://www.geocities.com/cwbetb

    4th Gen Page:
    http://www.geocities.com/hondacivic4g

    Car Club:
    http://www.teamkayo.com

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner CWBETB's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2001
    Posts
    1,609
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Later tonight I decided to try it again to see if it was a fluke. I was going in 3rd gear and pushed the gas till I hit boost, this time it almost appeared as though the car went passed the 5.5 pounds stock setting and looks like it was going more to 7+ I layed off the gas right away knowing I could damage my engine. The check engine light popped on again. My tach also jumped but the engine did not rev. I pulled over, again turning the car off. Started it back up and headed home hitting no boost and had no check engine.


    ------------------
    90 Civic Turbo ZC

    Home Page:
    http://www.geocities.com/cwbetb

    4th Gen Page:
    http://www.geocities.com/hondacivic4g

    Car Club:
    http://www.teamkayo.com

  3. #3
    Inactive Member NC_Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2001
    Posts
    714
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I knew a guy with a ZC Turbo using a greddy Kit...I have his intercooler, piping, ignition, SRP Pistons and Teg Rods before he went B16A...anyways...his spiked one day blowing his head gasket at somewhere near 20 lbs from what he claimed (doubt it). But his wastegate wasn't fastened down from what he was saying. Something about a lose bolt.

    From what I understand the greddy is mechanically controlled under vacuum pressure if I am right. Something of a rod is adjusted to change the boost pressure allowed if I heard it right. Picture of the rod I beleive is in the following: http://www.motionless.net/images/td-04.gif

    These are links I have that might help a bit or get you somebody that knows more...
    http://www.turbocrx.fsnet.co.uk/turbo.htm
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/F...2924/cars.html
    http://www.motionless.net/product_re...rbo_review.htm
    (this link talks about adjusting the rod for boost)
    http://www.streetsports.com/Projects/index.htm
    http://www.greddy.com/products/controls.html
    (contains the following smile

    "The wastegate is commonly a spring-loaded valve fitted just before the turbine. The valve opens and bleeds off excess exhaust pressure when the compressor reaches a predetermined boost. The wastegate performs three jobs:

    * Controls boost to keep the engine intact
    * Controls the speed of the turbo to keep it from self-destructing
    * Helps tailor the turbocharger's performance to the requirements of the engine "
    http://www.streetsports.com/Projects/Shawn's%20Civic/-Shawn's%20Civic%20Page.htm
    http://www.streetsports.com/Projects/John's%20Civic/-John's%20Civic%20Page.htm

    This is a cool-ass Rim!!! http://www.streetsports.com/Projects/Jason's%20Civic/Jason's%20Civic%20Images/Front_right_view.jpg

    ------------------

  4. #4
    Inactive Member NC_Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 7th, 2001
    Posts
    714
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Let me know what you think, but if it runs up near the max 8.5 psi, I would check the actuator for the bypass of the boost pressure, should be rod controlled like the links state, but not sure if these is any vacuum pressure through hoses or anything. Also, if leaking oil may get down in the tubes and make a mess....I've seen japs cleaning out there pipes on the streets from oil.

    PS...get the pan bung welded to stop the oil leaks...something I read in these articles.

    ------------------

  5. #5
    Inactive Member crxgator gone wrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2001
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    i was just going to say its probably a map sensor, but you found that out already, you would need a "bigger" one i think you can use a gsr one and be fine, im not sure, im guessing cause when people do turbo/superchargers they have to get a better one, like when SCC showed the cougar with the supercharger they used a MAP from a cobra...see what im saying...

    ------------------
    91 Civic DX Hatch
    ZC engine/ZC tranny/89 teg ECU
    i/h/thermal exhaust

    hopefully turbo

  6. #6
    Inactive Member marked001's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 4th, 2001
    Posts
    795
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think that's a little different situation...I kinda think that those car's use Mass Airflow Sensor's which is different than a MAP sensor. the map sensor cant read any boost and the check valves bleed this boost away before it reaches it...

    ------------------
    tahitiangreen91hatchsi

    [email protected]

    illadelphia, PA

  7. #7
    Inactive Member crxgator gone wrong's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 25th, 2001
    Posts
    132
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    ok sorry, i guess i was wrong so im thinking of the MAF then eh...? or is there such a thing...

    ------------------
    91 Civic DX Hatch
    ZC engine/ZC tranny/89 teg ECU
    i/h/thermal exhaust

    hopefully turbo

  8. #8
    Inactive Member whagkangmakulet's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2001
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    yup... map sensor.. try to buy more check valves.. this will eliminate one..that's being clogged.. instead.. stop boosting for a whiile and save some cash for a missing link...this should save you some money...

    ------------------

  9. #9
    HB Forum Owner CWBETB's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 1st, 2001
    Posts
    1,609
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Im using 3 check valves at the moment, I thought this would be enough, but I could probably add another.

    Whats this missing link thing I heard from a few people? More info about this would be great, thanks

    ------------------
    90 Civic Turbo ZC

    Home Page:
    http://www.geocities.com/cwbetb

    4th Gen Page:
    http://www.geocities.com/hondacivic4g

    Car Club:
    http://www.teamkayo.com

  10. #10
    Inactive Member whagkangmakulet's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 8th, 2001
    Posts
    3
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    well, I bought mine from ebay.. It didn't really come with an instruction but it looks like a check valve inside of an aluminium body..to prevent heat transfer... I stop buying check valves after this..

    ------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •